Orthodontics in Pascoe Vale VIC
If your teeth are not as straight as you would like or you have misalignment because you did not wear your orthodontic retainers in your youth, Dr Amir can help you achieve a properly aligned smile in less time than you might imagine.
Orthodontic treatment can give you a straight, comfortable smile that functions well and is easier to take care of. We invite you to book a consult with Dr Amir to find out how orthodontics might be able to improve the look of your smile. Meanwhile, take a look at some of the common questions we hear about orthodontics at our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental clinic.
- Why should I get orthodontic treatment?
- What are short-term braces?
- When are traditional orthodontics best?
- What should I know about the procedure for braces?
- Does getting braces hurt?
- How often will I have to come in for adjustments?
- Will I have to watch what I eat?
- How difficult is it to keep my teeth clean with braces?
- Do I still need regular dental appointments if I have braces?
- How long will treatment take?
- Should I consider getting Invisalign clear braces instead of traditional orthodontics?
- How can I find out more about orthodontics?
Why should I get orthodontic treatment?
There are two good reasons to consider orthodontic treatment at our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental surgery: (1) Your smile will look better, and (2) your smile will function better. Most people also find that it is easier to keep an aligned smile clean because flossing and brushing will be easier. Crooked teeth can create hard-to-reach areas, so you might be missing them when you brush and floss. People with misaligned teeth are often more prone to developing tooth decay.
What are short-term braces?
If you are mostly concerned about the appearance of your smile, short-term braces can correct cosmetic misalignment that is visible when you smile. Treatment takes an average of six months, though it can vary slightly from patient to patient.
By placing braces on only the front teeth, patients can enjoy reduced treatment times. Treatment is often less costly overall as well.
Short-term braces at our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental clinic are tooth-coloured and use a memory wire to guide teeth into alignment, making treatment convenient and less noticeable. Because short-term braces focus mostly on aesthetics and slight relapse cases, they are not a suitable approach for complex orthodontic cases.
When are traditional orthodontics best?
In some cases, traditional orthodontics is the best option to achieve the most comfortable and ideal results.
- A jaw that is misaligned, meaning the upper and lower teeth do not meet properly
- Underbite or overbite
- Overcrowded teeth
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
- Teeth that are misshapen
What should I know about the procedure for braces?
Before you get started, you will book a consult with Dr Amir to talk about your goals for your smile. He will conduct an examination and also obtain your dental and medical history. Then he will talk to you about a proposed treatment plan.
Once you are ready for the braces, Dr Amir will start by attaching small brackets to the surfaces of the teeth.
A bendable wire will attach to brackets and regular adjustments to the wire will guide the movement of the teeth.
Modern dental brackets come in both metal and ceramic, tooth-coloured options. Dr Amir can discuss the pros and cons of each, so you can make a choice that works best for you.
Traditional orthodontics at our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental clinic is a reliable choice for any orthodontic condition including full mouth cases and complex bite-related issues.
Does getting braces hurt?
Having braces put on might be somewhat uncomfortable, but there is generally no pain involved. Often patients feel discomfort and minor pains in the first few days as they become adjusted to having the braces.
After adjustments, the teeth might be sore initially, but this eventually fades away after a day or two. You can try over-the-counter pain relievers, which are usually strong enough to get you through the slight discomfort.
How often will I have to come in for adjustments?
Because your treatment plan is customised for your needs, it can be difficult to predict how often you will need to come to have your braces adjusted and your progress monitored. For many orthodontics patients of our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental clinic, we set up a schedule for visits to take place anywhere from every four weeks to every 10 weeks.
Will I have to watch what I eat?
Yes, it’s a good idea to pass up foods that can get stuck in your braces. Avoiding sticky and crunchy foods during orthodontic treatment can prevent problems such as broken wires and damaged brackets.
How difficult is it to keep my teeth clean with braces?
It is more challenging to keep teeth clean while you have braces, but with the right attitude and proper tools, you can do it. We recommend that you follow these steps:
- Choose the right toothbrush. If you had been using a standard toothbrush before getting your braces, now might be a good time to upgrade to an electric toothbrush.
- Brush the exterior of your teeth thoroughly; this is the side to which your brackets are probably adhered. Plaque build-up here will be the most noticeable. Try to brush above and around the brackets as best as you can.
- Brush the inside of your teeth as you normally would.
- You still need to floss, even though it will be a bit more challenging with brackets and wires. You can either use regular floss or you can find products such as floss sticks that will make it a bit easier.
- Rinse with mouthwash to get rid of any remaining bacteria you might have missed with your brush and floss.
- Change your toothbrush regularly to a fresh one about every three months.
Do I still need regular dental appointments if I have braces?
Regular dental appointments for check-ups and cleans is even more important while you are undergoing treatment for orthodontics at our Pascoe Vale, VIC dental clinic. Keeping teeth free of plaque build-up can be more difficult while you have metal brackets and wires on your teeth, making your teeth more susceptible to decay. Dr Amir can help ensure that your teeth stay healthy during treatment with check-ups and cleans.
How long will treatment take?
Treatment times will vary, depending on the current state of your teeth and your goals for your smile. Many people find that treatment times fall somewhere between six and 30 months. After treatment is complete, Dr Amir will recommend that you wear a retainer to avoid any backsliding with your teeth.
Should I consider getting Invisalign clear braces instead of traditional orthodontics?
Invisalign clear braces are a good option for some patients but not others. The more complex your orthodontic issues, the less likely you would be a good candidate for Invisalign.
It’s best to go over your options with Dr Amir to learn whether or not you might be a good fit for Invisalign. Generally, older teens and adults who can be compliant with wearing the plastic aligners for 22 hours each day might be suitable for Invisalign treatment.
How can I find out more about orthodontics?
When you contact our Pascoe Vale dental clinic to arrange an orthodontic evaluation, our entire team will work together to help you achieve a smile that adds confidence when it comes to your appearance and feels comfortable. A straight smile looks better and it often functions better.