Dental Implants in Pascoe Vale, VIC
A smile is a personal part of everyone’s identity and expression, so having a smile that looks beautiful and functions properly is essential.
At Lumino Smiles Dental, we strive to protect and maintain the health of natural teeth, when possible. Unfortunately, dental extractions sometimes become necessary due to infection, decay or trauma. A tooth extraction does not necessarily need to destroy a beautiful smile, however.
Dr Amir Kiaee and our entire team are here to help by offering a number of tooth-replacement options, including dental implants, at our Pascoe Vale dental clinic.
Dr Amir has a reputation for providing gentle dentistry and is dedicated to maintaining the highest standards of dental care. Our Lumino Smiles Dental team welcomes curiosity and enjoys educating patients so that they can make informed decisions regarding their smiles.
If you are interested in learning more about dental implants, we invite your call to our dental clinic. Please read below, and you can find answers to some of the questions you might have about dental implants.
- Why do patients choose dental implants?
- What are some of the benefits of dental implants?
- What does the dental implant procedure entail?
- How long does it take for dental implants to heal?
- How much will dental implants cost?
- Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
- Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
- How do I care for my dental implants?
- How long can I expect my dental implants to last?
- How can I find out more about dental implants?
Why do patients choose dental implants?
When considering tooth replacement options, many patients choose dental implants because they provide a long-term and lifelike way to replace a missing tooth. Put simply, dental implants look and function more like natural teeth than any other tooth replacement.
What are some of the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants offer a number of notable advantages beyond what bridges, dentures and partials can provide.
- Bone density maintenance—Dental implants require surgical placement within healthy bone structure. Unlike other tooth replacement options, dental implants actually integrate with natural bone, creating stability and preventing bone deterioration, which is common following tooth loss. The jaw bone supports teeth and also maintains facial shape.
- Dental implants maintain the alignment of natural teeth by preventing shifting or tilting.
- Reliability, convenience and longevity—With the proper care, dental implants can outlast other tooth-replacement options. Diligent home care, along with regular professional dental cleanings, exams and x-rays, is the best insurance for an investment in dental implants.
- A night guard offers protection from teeth grinding, called bruxism, which can damage teeth and cause dental implants to fail.
- Stability—Unlike dentures or partials, dental implants will not shift unexpectedly while eating, laughing or smiling. To replace multiple missing teeth, four to six dental implants can provide an anchor to retain dentures and keep them from moving and slipping.
What does the dental implant procedure entail?
Dental implant treatment consists of five main phases:
- Health assessment and organising a treatment plan—Determining oral health, addressing any underlying conditions, and identifying the ideal location for dental implant placement
- Surgical procedure—Inserting the dental implant rod into the jawbone
- Healing and integration—Proper time to heal is essential and may take up to six months for the titanium rod to fully fuse to the natural bone
- Restoration—Design and fit a custom, tooth-coloured dental implant crown that matches adjacent teeth seamlessly
- Consistent ongoing preventive care—Home care, dental exams, cleanings and periodic x-rays to support ongoing oral health
Dr Amir completes the entire dental implant process, monitors healing and provides personalised post-procedure care to ensure the best outcome possible. He quickly puts patients at ease and spends time listening to each patient’s concerns, so they feel confident in their decision to trust Lumino Smiles Dental with their oral health.
How long does it take for dental implants to heal?
Most patients report quick recoveries from the surgical placement of the dental implant, and the healing process itself—the amount of time it takes for the implants to be permanently integrated into the jawbone varies from person to person. For most people, it takes anywhere from four to six months for the healing to take place. At that time, the dental implant can be completed with an abutment and dental crown.
Four to six months really isn’t a long time when you consider that you will have a permanent tooth replacement that looks very much like your natural tooth—and functions like one too.
How much will dental implants cost?
It is difficult to quote an exact cost until Dr Amir conducts a thorough examination and takes a full medical history. The investment for dental implants will vary, depending on how many implants are needed, the current state of your jawbone and other factors. If you need a bone grafting procedure, for instance, to ensure your jawbone is adequate to receive the dental implants, this will add to your cost.
Am I a good candidate for dental implants?
At Lumino Smiles Dental, we maintain a comprehensive, health-based approach to dentistry, which focuses on each patient and their individual concerns. An evaluation will determine if dental implants are appropriate.
Adequate bone density is essential to support the dental implant. Additionally, oral conditions such as periodontal (gum) disease and decay require treatment before surgery. This creates the ideal environment for successful dental implants.
The good news is that most of these issues are not insurmountable with treatments such as gum grafting. We invite you to book a consultation at our Pascoe Vale dental clinic, and we can go over the specifics for dental implants in your situation.
Will I have any food restrictions with dental implants?
Good eating is one of life’s greatest pleasures, and the fact that there are no food restrictions with dental implants is just one of the reasons our patients love them for tooth replacement. Because the implants are integrated into the jawbone, you will have no worries about chewing the crunchiest vegetables or juiciest steak. Your implants will not move, meaning you can enjoy all of the foods you might have skipped when you were dealing with missing teeth or sliding dentures.
How do I care for my dental implants?
Unlike dentures, which need to be removed for cleaning, dental implants are permanent restorations that can be brushed and flossed just like your natural teeth.
As always, it’s essential to visit our Pascoe Vale dental clinic twice each year for check-ups and cleans—even if you have a mouth full of dental implants. Although dental implants cannot develop cavities the way your natural teeth can, gum disease is still a possibility. It’s also a good idea to have your dentist check the implants periodically to ensure there are no problems developing.
How long can I expect my dental implants to last?
Dental implants are strong and durable and are designed to last for many years. For many patients, dental implants will last a lifetime as long as they are cared for properly. Treat them as you would your natural teeth: Brush and floss regularly, avoid chewing on overly hard foods or ice and never use your implants (or natural teeth) as a tool.
How can I find out more about dental implants in Glenroy, VIC?
Dr Amir would be happy to go over the benefits of dental implants and to ensure that you are a good candidate for this tooth replacement option. We believe you will find our entire team professional, warm and knowledgeable.
We look forward to welcoming you and invite you to contact our Pascoe Vale dental surgery to learn more about tooth replacement options or to arrange your next dental appointment. Just give us a call on (03) 9300 1061.